Puppy on a String Article Series
- "Read and Understand Your Contract" by Maryanne Murray, Sep/Oct 2010
- "Know What Your Deposit Covers" by Maryanne Murray, Nov/Dec 2010
- "Top Ten Questions To Ask Before You Buy A PWD" by Maryanne Murray, Jan/Feb 2011
Long Range Planning
- "What if Something Happens to You?" by Meredith Fahrner, May/June 2011
Puppy Eye Syndrome Article Series
- "Discovering PES —A Long and Winding Road, a breeders story" Jan/Feb 2015
- "Life With “Honey”" by Sherry Rady, Mar/Apr 2015
- "The Completion of a Genetic Test for IMPROPER COAT (IC)" by Dr. Gordon Lark, Jan/Feb 2010
- "Seven Simple Words" by Deb Zorn, May/June 2015
- "2014 Portuguese Water Dog Health Report" by Elsa J Sell, MD, October 2014
- "2014 Summary of the Portuguese Water Dog Health Report" by Elsa J Sell, MD, November 2014
- "Before You Get Your Puppy" by Dr. Ian Dunbar, 2001
- "Dog Behavior Q and A, a PWD-L Discussion" with Dr. Lore Haug
- "Maintaining and Improving Breeds" by Jerrold S. Bell DVM, Perspectives: AKC Delegate Newsletter, September 2016
In 1985, the PWDCA conducted a survey of PWD owners to identify the most pressing problems facing our breed. The first-ranked issue was hip dysplasia. The second issue was temperament. Twenty years later, in spite - or perhaps because - of rapid increases in the popularity of our breed, almost half (47%) of respondents to the 2005 Health Survey reported a temperament or behavior issue. Today, PWD behavioral issues continue to challenge PWD owners. In this section, you will find reading materials which have been selected to help us better understand canine behavior and which offer techniques we can use to prevent and resolve behavioral problems.
Before You Get Your Puppy by Dr. Ian Dunbar
"Dog Behavior Q and A, a PWD-L Discussion"
The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs by Patricia B. McConnel
Behavioral Issues-Recommended Steps to Take
- Contact the breeder of your dog if you have any problems or questions regarding your dog's behavior
- Contact a Certified Dog Trainer that specialize in behavior issues.
- If you can’t find your breeder, don’t know who your breeder is, or your breeder is unavailable or unable to help you, please contact PWDCA Rescue, Inc.