The PWDCA is a 501(c)(4) non-profit member organization. It is led by a volunteer board (with 10 elected members) and supported by active member participation in several committees. There are 18 sanctioned regional clubs, which provide local support, events, and community for PWD owners.
The commitment of the PWDCA to the health and quality of the breed led to the creation and maintenance of the PWD Health & Litter Log. Additional health programs and research are funded by the PWDCA and its members.
The PWDCA has been a leader among national dog clubs, due to its dedication to advancing research in canine health issues. The organization is responsible for a variety of programs that teach and assist breeders, support junior members, and encourage participation in many PWD activities. It also is responsible for the award-winning publication of The Courier.
Membership is open to Portuguese Water Dog breeders, owners, and enthusiasts.
Our committees are the heart and soul of our organization. To contact a committee chair, please find the appropriate committee below and click on the name of the chairperson. To see all members of a committee, please log into the Member Center and visit the Committees page.
- PWDCA Agility: Linda Otey
- National Specialty Event Advisory Team (SEAT): Carol Mattingley
- Obedience/Tracking/Rally: Nancy Watson
- Water Trial: Susan Cucura
- AKC Delegate: Robin Burmeister
- AKC Gazette Breed Column: Carole Prangley-McIvor
- AKC Outstanding Sportsmanship Award: Susan Myrick
- Archives: Open
- Awards: Amanda Ford
- Community Education Committee (Special): Heather Kelly
- Finance: Marc Berger
- Junior Affiliates: Christie Kello
- Legislative Issues: Kathy Souza
- Membership: Paula Kerezsi
- Miller Scholarship: Kris Cofiell
- Nominating (April 1 - August 1): Kit Murphy
- Owner Handler Awards: Jamie Keller-Carr
- Policy & Procedures Manual: Elizabeth Henry
- PWDCA-L List Administration: Gail Browne-McDonald
- Regional Club Sanctioning: Laura Taft
- Remembrance Fund: Angela Rogerson
- Technology & Internet: Logan Ott
- The Courier: Susan Myrick
- Volunteer: Nancy Kurkjian
- Allergy, Hair loss & Dermatology:
- Cancer: Martha Ruskai
- Canine Health Info Center (CHIC): Cynthia O'Connor, DVM DACT
- Endocrine: Cheryl Hoofnagle - If you have an Addisonian dog in distress, please call 301-468-9088
- Eye: Joan Bendure and Janet Boyd
- Gastrointestinal/IBD & Megaesophagus: Sharon Dudley-Brown
- GM-1: Kathy Ferrandino
- Health Information: Elsa Sell
- Health & Litter Log Support: Jane McEwen
- Health Research Grants: Mike McCallum
- Heart: Carol Mattingley and Maryanne Murray
- Neonatal and Pediatric Health: Carol Mattingley
- Neurological Disorders (formerly Seizures): Julie Asbed
- Orthopedic: Cheryl Hoofnagle
The PWDCA National Specialty Company, LLC is a for-profit company under which all National Specialty Committees organize.
During the week-long annual event, PWDs and their owners from across the world participate in "dog" events (including conformation, obedience, rally, water trials, agility and more) and "people" events (including health education seminars, social dinner and auctions).
Money is raised for the various health funds and research projects that are supported by the PWDCA, Inc.