How to Submit an Ad
The Courier advertising rates include the cost of designing and laying out your ad with one photo. There are extra charges for additional photos, logos or line art.
When submitting content for an ad, include:
- A completed advertising insertion order form , one per ad.
- Ad copy: typed, provided on a CD/ DVD, or emailed.
- Photo(s), include your name and the dog’s name on a label affixed to the back of the print. Do not write on the photo or cut it.
- Health test results and documentation must accompany each ad in accordance with The Courier advertising policy. Advertisements not in compliance with the advertising policy will not run until they are brought into compliance. Please follow this format when submitting health stats (see required wording choices in the advertising policy).
DOB: GM-1: OFA: EL: (optional) CERF/ECR: PRA: JDCM: (optional) IC: (optional)
- Copies of certificates or a printout from the Health & Litter Database must accompany health test claims as documentation.
- Payment: check or money order (payable to “PWDCA, Inc.”); Visa and MasterCard are also accepted.
- Self-addressed, stamped envelope for the return of photos.
More about photos:
If you prefer to supply your photo(s) in digital format, high resolution (300 dpi) uncompressed TIFF or JPEG files can be emailed to The Courier or submitted on a CD or DVD.
No black and white or color photocopies or ink jet or laser prints of digital photos will be accepted. Photos from web sites or at web resolution (72 – 96 dpi) cannot be used.
If you prefer to layout your own ad...
... The Courier is digitally produced to be press-ready. “Camera ready” ads are not accepted. Use a professional page layout program such as Adobe InDesign or Quark Xpress and convert the layout to PDF/X-1 with all fonts and 300 dpi images embedded. PDF/X-1 is the preferred format. Courier ad policy regarding health test result requirements still applies for prepared ads.
Other acceptable formats:
- Uncompressed TIFF or JPEG at 300 dpi resolution
- Adobe InDesign file - include all fonts and resources placed in the layout
- Adobe Illustrator - images must be linked (not embedded) and included and fonts must be changed to outlines
- Adobe Photoshop - must be CMYK and 300 dpi resolution in a layered Photoshop file
- In all cases, you must send the fonts used (screen and printer) as well as all images used as CMYK and at 300 dpi
- Ads formatted with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Publisher or other business-oriented software are not acceptable as a finished product.
To digitally complete any of The Courier forms:
- Select the form you need (ad insertion order, kennel card advertising order, cover contest entry).
- The form will open in another window in your browser.
- Click the "download" button to save the form to your computer (the location of the "download" button varies depending which browser is used).
- Open the downloaded PDF with Adobe Reader. (If you do not have this application, it is available (free) at www.adobe.com; select Adobe Reader in the lower left and it will automatically download.)
- The form's active fields are highlighted in blue. (If they are not highlighted, click the "Highlight Existing Fields" button in the upper right of the window.)
- Type in the first field and hit the "Tab" button to advance to the next field.
- Be sure to save the PDF when you are finished, giving it a meaningful name, e.g. "ad insertion for Fido's championship".
- You may attach the PDF to an e-mail along with any other digital test certificates/ad copy/photos/etc. and e-mail it to Kathryn Monroe (CourierEditor@comcast.net) or, you may print the completed form and enclose it along with whatever other materials and mail it to: The Courier, 127 Dartmoor Road, Mahtomedi, MN 55115-2083.
Kennel card address/phone changes: $15; contract rates: 6% discount for 6-issue contract (January - December)