Deyanne Miller Scholarship Fund (DMSF)
Fund established 1988
Formal award program established 2005
To provide Scholarship money to qualified members in good standing of the Portuguese Water Dog Club of America. To qualify for an application the applicant must be a member of the PWDCA or for those applicants under 18 their parent or guardian must be a member of the PWDCA, and must meet the qualifications as stipulated.
- No set minimum amount.
- Maximum of $1000 per award.
- Applications must be received by May 15th of each year. Awards, if any, will be made to applicant after announcement of the award at the PWDCA National Specialty of each year.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Application may be made yearly.
- No fee to apply.
- Applicant, or in the event the applicant is under 18, at least one of the applicant's parents or legal guardian must be a member of the PWDCA. If the applicant is 18 years old but has not yet graduated from High School they are eligible to apply under their parent or guardian's PWDCA membership.
- He/she must provide proof of college/university enrollment to the scholarship sponsors prior to receiving the scholarship award. Must be enrolled as a full time student at a 2 or 4 year college or university, or be pursuing an advanced degree. There is no specific required course of study, though precedence will be given to qualified applicants studying Veterinary Medicine.
- Applicant must provide proof of having earned a minimum of a 3.0 out of 4.0 overall GPA or better. High school seniors must provide GPA through fall semester of senior year.
- Applicant must submit a 500 word essay. The essay must address the following questions:
- State reasons why you feel that you are a good candidate for this award (i.e., future goals, breed knowledge, etc.).
- What attracted you to this breed?
- What benefits have you obtained from owning a PWD?
- Applicant must submit a letter of recommendation from a PWDCA member (other than family member or relative).
- Applicant must provide a cover sheet with the essay listing the applicants name, address, phone number, and email address.
- Essay must be typed, doubled spaced, 12 point font, with one (1) inch margins.
- Essays will be evaluated on content.
Complete Applications should be sent to:
PWDCA Miller Scholarship Fund Committee Chair
269 Chestnut Hill Road
Glastonbury, CT 06033
Please note that applications may NOT be sent via email.
Contact Kris Cofiell (email@example.com) the Miller Scholarship Fund Committee Chair.