Outstanding Breeder Achievement Recognition Program
The purpose of the Outstanding Breeder Achievement program is to recognize superior attainment in support of the following objectives from the Portuguese Water Dog Club of America (PWDCA) bylaws:
- To encourage and promote quality in the breeding of purebred Portuguese Water Dogs, and to do all possible to bring their natural qualities to perfection.
- To encourage members and breeders to accept the AKC approved breed standard as the only standard of excellence by which Portuguese Water Dogs shall be judged.
- To protect and maintain the good health of the breed by establishing and encouraging ethical breeding practices, by supporting PWDCA health policies, and by promoting participation in the PWDCA health programs.
- To do all in its power to protect and advance the interests of the breed and to encourage sportsmanlike competition at all recognized AKC and PWDCA events.
The Outstanding Breeder Achievement Award is based on the following principles:
- We emphasize first and foremost the unique type and work of the Portuguese Water Dog.
- We promote breeding that reflects PWDCA recommendations.
- We honor the versatility of the breed and its owners.
- We recognize that a breeder's record of achievement emerges from the relationship between breeder effort in the production of Portuguese Water Dogs and owner effort in lifelong care and title attainment by those dogs.
- Competition for the Outstanding Breeder Achievement Award is open to all breeders who are members in good standing with the PWDCA. The breeder of record as listed on AKC/country of residence registrations shall determine the breeder to whom points shall accrue, regardless of the format of the registered name. In the event of co-breeding, co-breeders will be asked to decide which breeder earns credit for the points. If co-breeders do not agree, the points earned by the dog(s) in question will be split equally between all co-breeders of record. In the event that no response is received from a co-breeder, the points will default to the co-breeder that responds to the request. Attempts to contact breeders will include email, telephone, and US Mail.
- AKC and PWDCA titles earned during the calendar year will be used in calculating standings. For dogs living outside of the United States, a championship from the country of residence is eligible in lieu of, not in addition to, an AKC championship.
- In order for a breeder to be eligible for the Outstanding Breeder Achievement Award in any given year, there must be at least one title earned during that year in each of the following categories. These titles may be earned by different dogs.
- One conformation title, and
- One water title, and
- One title from either Obedience, Tracking, Rally, or Agility.
- The achievements of any titlist bred in accordance with PWDCA health testing recommendations in effect at the time of the breeding are eligible for inclusion in calculating Outstanding Breeder Achievement Award standings. For any breedings involving frozen semen from deceased dogs, the recommendations in effect at the time of death determine eligibility. For information on requirements and corresponding time periods, please see The Courier magazine.
- The litter from which any titlist comes must be listed in the Health and Litter Database along with results of recommended health tests for the sire and dam.
Accumulation of Points:
- In order to preserve emphasis on Portuguese Water Dog type and function, AKC breed Championships and PWDCA Courier Water Dog Excellent titles earn 3 points each.
- Other water titles (Apprentice, Working, and Courier Water Dog titles) earn 2 points each.
- AKC MACH and OTCH titles earn 3 points each. All other AKC titles in Obedience, Tracking, Rally, and Agility earn one point each, with the exception of titles such as CT and VCD, which are automatically generated upon completion of combinations of other titles and will not accumulate additional points.
- For dogs living outside of the United States, a championship from the country of residence is eligible in lieu of, not in addition to, an AKC championship. Breeders or owners of such dogs are responsible for submitting a copy of the certificate to the coordinator of the program no later than February 1 following the year in which the championship was earned.
- Canadian water titles (PWDCC) are recognized as equivalent to PWDCA titles. Any dog that earns duplicate PWDCA and PWDCC water titles will receive points for just one title at each level. Breeders or owners of dogs earning PWDCC water titles are responsible for submitting a copy of the title certificate to the coordinator of the program no later than February 1 following the year in which the water title was earned.
Calculation of Points:
- The total points earned by all dogs from each breeder will be added together to determine total points credited to that breeder.
- The total number of titlists from each breeder will be divided by the number of litters from which they came, and the resulting ratio will be multiplied times the total accumulated points per breeder.
- The results of step two will be ranked in numerical order.
- All Qualifiers for the award will be listed in The Courier magazine and noted on the PWDCA website. A qualifier has the option of being listed by name, OR by their kennel name, at their discretion
- The top five qualifiers will be ranked in order of achievement.
- The breeder with the highest achievement ranking each year will receive a commemorative plaque.
Contact Amanda Ford for questions regarding the Outstanding Breeder Achievement Program.